Draydel

Deep thoughts, random insights, and musings by Susan Jacobs

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Waxing nostalgic

Quite unexpectedly this evening, the song "Saying Goodbye" from "The Muppets Take Manhattan" started running through my mind. I can't recall the last time I saw that movie, and don't know what triggered the memory of the song, but before I knew it I was singing a half-remembered version of the lyrics out loud. (good thing I live alone) After humming it a few times, I decided to check out the lyrics online, and they are here for your sentimental pleasure.


Saying goodbye, going away
Seems like goodbye's such a hard thing to say
Touching a hand, wondering why
It's time for saying goodbye

Saying goodbye, why is it sad?
Makes us remember the good times we've had
Much more to say, foolish to try
It's time for saying goodbye

Dont want to leave, but we both know
Sometimes it's better to go
Somehow I know we'll meet again
Not sure quite where, and I dont know just when
You're in my heart, so until then
Wanna smile, wanna cry
Saying goodbye

La la la la la la la la
It's time for saying goodbye



It may be a song from what is ostensibly a children's movie, but there is a lot of insight in the lyrics.

2 Comments:

  • At June 9, 2005 at 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, the gadlus of Muppets lyrics. Seriously, anything sung by Gonzo or Kermit is usually pure genius.

     
  • At June 9, 2005 at 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seriously evocative stuff, dem Muppets. I thought of them just five minutes ago when I was talking with my new nephew Gil, and asked him where Phil, Bill and Jill were. And I know RenReb would agree...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home