Draydel

Deep thoughts, random insights, and musings by Susan Jacobs

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Quick update

No, I haven't given up blogging. It's just that the Jewish holiday season has a way of wreaking havoc upon one's routine.

I had a wonderful, lively, Simchat Torah. If you are an Orthodox woman in search of a shul where the women also dance on Simchat Torah (rather than just watching the men -- I'm still not sure how watching people dance qualifies as fun), then come to my shul next year. We dance up a storm. One of my friends came to visit me this year on the promise that Simchat Torah would be very leibedick and fun, and I think her expectations were more than fulfilled. A good time was had by all, as they say. And at my shul, that means non-alcoholic fun. [I'm not sure where many shuls and yeshivas find the justification for boozing it up on Simchat Torah, but according to Rabbi Daniel Wasserman (my local Orthodox rabbi), there is absolutely no source for it, and in fact, drunkenness is a sin.]

In other news, work is still going well. I had four articles in this week's paper, and received many, many compliments over Yom Tov. It's really nice to be appreciated, though I must try not to let it go to my head.

And, last week I finally finished a free-lance piece for Sustainable Pittsburgh, an organization for which I write periodic pieces on environmental/development issues. It was one of those things that never had a definite deadline, so I put it off until I was utterly embarassed by how long I had been procrastinating. It felt very good to get it done.

4 Comments:

  • At October 11, 2004 at 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like your Rabbi is a smart guy! :-) His two brothers (Shmuel and Hillel) are neighbors of mine here in Efrat. Shmuel and I worked together in the NY music business for about 17 years!

    By the way, I noticed that you use hotmail. If you like it and don't feel like changing, I won't try to persuade you. But I have a few Gmail invites and I'd be happy to send one your way if you're interested.

    Regards,

    David (www.treppenwitz.com)

     
  • At October 12, 2004 at 5:39 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    David,

    Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I do have a smart rabbi, and I should have realized that you would know his brothers. What a wonderfully small Jewish world!

    By the way, I already have a gmail account, but thanks for the offer. I'm still using hotmail as the account I check obsessively, and sending messages I want to save over to gmail. I'm generally not giving out the gmail address because I don't check it as often.

     
  • At October 12, 2004 at 9:44 PM, Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said…

    Cool. Yasher koach on finishing the piece. Hopefully, no more holidays for a while means we can all get back to our routines.

     
  • At November 23, 2004 at 6:46 PM, Blogger Shayne said…

    Susan -

    I loved your article in the World Jewish Digest. It was really cool to see your name on the front page as well!

    Keep up the good work!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home