Draydel

Deep thoughts, random insights, and musings by Susan Jacobs

Sunday, January 28, 2007

A note to lovers of children’s literature

Several weeks ago I went in search of an appropriate birthday gift for an 11-year-old girl. While browsing the children’s section of my local Barnes and Noble, I came across a delightful book called “The Tale of Despereaux – being the story of a mouse, a princess, some soup, and a spool of thread.” The cover has a drawing of a tiny mouse with a needle tied around his waist, as though it were a sword.

If that description is not enough to whet your imagination, then I humbly suggest that you are out of touch with your inner child. I spent a lazy first day of January 2007 curled up on my couch engrossed in Despereaux’s tale. (I kept the first copy of the book for myself and bought a second one for the birthday girl.)

After finishing the book, I was satisfied that I had chosen a very good gift, but then wondered if the intended audience for such a book would appreciate it as much as I had. While sophisticated adolescent readers will appreciate the author’s irony and humor, adult readers are likely to understand the book’s artistry and depth that much more.

Despereaux has a lot to teach us about courage and loyalty, and I suggest you give him a try.

4 Comments:

  • At February 12, 2007 at 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (SW OH) On your recommendation, I took out the book for Tzivia, who loved it. I read it and enjoyed it, too - although the "yeshiva guy" in me isn't quite sure what he thinks about romantic love (and his daughter being exposed to the concept)...

     
  • At March 6, 2007 at 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey, if you plan on writing for this blog again I was hoping to offer a link exchange with your.

    My site is American Legends and the URL is:

    www.americanlegends.info

    If you want to do this just head over to my site and leave a comment for one of the posts and I'll link your blog.

    Take Care,
    David

     
  • At April 10, 2007 at 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So I said to myself, "Susan Jacobs, Susan Jacobs--I know that name . . . " and then I saw the bio!

    You have no contact info on this page so jump on over to my page and give me some!

    Kol tuv,

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Susan,
    Are you out there? It's me, Judith, from Charleston. Jump over to www.thezohn.com, okay?!

    Mazel tov on your 30th--I think you'll find that stuff is only beginning!

    Please, contact me!
    Yehudit Hannah Cohn
    yehudit@thezohn.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home