Draydel

Deep thoughts, random insights, and musings by Susan Jacobs

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Random round-up

A few days ago I was walking down the street and noticed the following bumper sticker: "So many men, so many reasons to sleep alone."

***

Today I stepped out onto my porch to water my chrysanthemum (I've had it more than two weeks and I haven't killed it yet!) when I heard a man's voice coming from another apartment shouting and using language that I will not repeat. Suffice it to say that it was something akin to "progeny of a wench!" I was alarmed, wondering if I should call the police to report a domestic dispute, as I did once when other neighbors were violently arguing. A moment later, I heard him yell "touchdown!" "Oh," I thought, "it's just the Steelers' game."

***

Today, for the second time, I went to see the movie Stardust. It is a lot of fun. It is a fairy tale sort of in the spirit of "The Princess Bride" -- a bit of a parody while still celebrating the romance and adventure of fairy tales. The dialogue is not as tight or as witty as Princess Bride, and the story definitely has some superfluous elements, but it is lots of fun with some wonderfully sentimental moments thrown in for those of who like movies that require the use of tissues.

***

Speaking of blending sentimentality with parody, it is September, the season of "The Fantasticks." Last year I wrote about this favorite musical of mine, but never let my readers know that I did, indeed, get to see the newest incarnation of the play in New York. I saw it back in January when I was in New York for a friend's wedding. The Snapple Theater is in the midst of the theater district and lacks some of the charm of The Sullivan Street Theater, but the musical is as magical as it ever was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home